Monday, 16 January 2017

Minor Project: Reflective Statement

Before this project started, I was fully aware of my weaknesses, especially in terms of Maya, so I wanted to make something achievable and something that was within my skill level. By the end of this project, my aim was to get all 3 characters completed, as well as having an animatic/storyboard and script. I, unfortunately and annoyingly, didn't finish all of this and do now have to catch up during the major project, so this may cause a problem later down the line, in terms of time mainly. Because of this I decided to remove one of the 5 scenes from the animation, as I felt that it wasn't working quite as well as the others and felt a bit out of place.

Like previous projects that I have worked on, it took me a bit longer than I had hoped for me to get a stage where I fully understood what I was doing. Once I did start working, however, I do think my attitude has improved and I am now doing work more regularly, although I could still be doing more than I should, and a lot quicker also. This project has gone quite slowly in recent weeks because of my lack of experience and knowledge of using Maya to a high standard - Not doing enough tutorials in the previous years has really caught up on me. I have, currently, made 2 of the 3 character models, and despite the fact that they will need improving/tweaking in places, I think they work quite well for the specific characters, and I don't think I would have been able to make them at the same standard if I made them last year.

What I have learned from this project is that I really like writing scripts and making animatics - figuring out how the scene will work, what I can do to improve them, what style of camera shots to use and how I can have a bit of fun with the characters/camera through an animation. I think the script works well and will lead to a funny and enjoyable thing to watch. This is proving to be something that keeps purshing me on through the modelling side of the project, as I think in previous projects, I would have given up or would have settled for something of lower quality.

In conclusion, I think this project has shown me that I have improved in some ways, but am still far off from where I need to be. I need to improve a great deal during this next project and this is something I want to do, not only for the sake of my final grade, but because I believe that the final animation will be a good one, as long as it's made correctly and has no major issues with it.

1 comment:

  1. for 20th February (Monday's tutorial):

    1) Complete Major Project timetable (to include liaising with Alan re. rigging assistance).
    2) All characters modelled.
    3) Animatic complete.
    4) Texturing tests (to emulate the original style of your artwork).
    5) Conceptualise your Art Of
    6) Consider Blog re-brand in light of Major project production.
    7) Email me re. operation - to include medical evidence.