Following on from the feedback that I received from Phil and Kayliegh, I did some more life cycle thumbnails, but this time I put the colour closer to the outlines. I agree that the 1st set looked a bit strange, and so I think this new set is more successful in that regard. Like the first set, I am very happy with these as they the intended style as well as using my own strengths. This is a technique that I find much easier to use in comparison to how I would have done them earlier in the year, and so I will continue to improve by doing so.
I will now look to add more of this style, and my own, into the character and the setting.