Tuesday 13 January 2015

From Script to Screen - Like for like Story Board #1




Fig. 1 Shaun of the Dead (2004) Movie Poster


This is my Like for like story board. I based it on a scene in Edgar Wright's "Shaun of the Dead" where Ed (played by Nick Frost) is talking to Shaun (played by Simon Pegg) how his break up isn't the end of the world.

Overall, I'm happy with this because I like each individual image. I spent a longer time on this than most things I do, so it makes it clear how much my feelings about my work can change if I spend more time on things. I think I could have shown light in the images, but I wasn't sure how to do that, unless I change the style.

Illustration:
Fig. 1 Shaun of the Dead (2004) Movie Poster http://teacherluke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/shaun-of-the-dead-poster.jpg (Accessed 13/01/2015)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dan,

    Yes, it is clear that you have spent a lot of time drawing up these images, but what you have produced looks to me like an illustrated conversation, rather than a storyboard as such... you don't need to include the script in a storyboard - it's purpose is to quickly show the action without the script.
    To be honest, the piece you have chosen to storyboard is not really very action-packed, is it? You should be looking to be able to convey the sense of action and excitement in a quick and dynamic way, not spend ages on each image; if you work in the way that you are here, you will never get your thumbnails for your 1 minute animation finished!

    Have a look at myUCA in the Storytelling and Commission unit, under Teaching Materials, Script to Screen, Storyboarding Resources, for lots of helpful advice on how to go about producing a successful storyboard.

    PS I do like the board with the zombie trying to get in though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan - I've got to be honest and agree with Jackie; I can't help feeling that you've missed the point a bit; while a two person conversation might be a good candidate for this task, is it really teaching you very much about how a diverse collection of shot choices/camera angles/camera moves etc, can convey dynamism or meaning... I don't think this exercise can have taught you very much at all about 'directing with a pencil'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. In all honesty, I thought this may be the overall response. I'll try to get another one done in the next couple of days that has more interesting shots and use of camera.

    ReplyDelete